hudgell home page





Fred Eyes Coopersale


Fred Brown

25th April 1918 - 27th July 2005

First published 1996

With the kind permission of Fred




One could be forgiven if one asked "Coopersale? Where is it?" You see if you leave Epping Town, proceed up Palmer's Hill, and fork right at the lights, taking the North Weald, Ongar road, you pass a turning on the right hand, not at present signposted, which takes you to Coopersale Common. The lower forest marks its whereabouts, so that it is, as it were, out on a limb.

You have got to take the right hand turn for less than a quarter of a mile under the railway bridge, and there you are!.

Coopersale is now a part of the Epping Forest District, and before this, a part of the old Urban District. This came about in the early 1900's and prior to this Coopersale belonged to the large parish of Theydon Garnon, which was part of the Ongar Hundred.

The derivation of a Hundred is not actually clear. It is said an area which provided a hundred soldiers to the King's Armies, a hundred families in an area, or a hundred freemen.

The parish took its name from two families amalgamated by marriage, Theydon and Gernon who held the capital manor from the 13th century. (Gaynes Park?)

The name Coopersale sounds like the name of someone's beer. Not so. In 1474 it was Coupereshale; in the 1570s Cobershale, later Theydon Gardens; in 1612 Copershale, and in Golton's Topographical Dictionary as late as 1833 Cappersall. So there is a wide choice as to its name.

Quite possible Cobershale is nearest. The name Cober or even Coober and Hale means Nook, corner, retreat or secret place.

The boundaries of the parish of Theydon Garnon went from the north end, the Garnon bushes (not the public house), along the left hand side of the plain going towards Epping, and along the left hand side of Hemnall Street, which held at one stage a manor house, one of three which included Gaynes Park and Garnish Hall.

I have not got a clue as to where this important place stood. I would hazard a guess and suggest where the Epping Town Council and Sports Centre now stand, but it is only a guess. The boundary continued up towards the common; down the Theydon Bois road along almost to Abridge; and back along to Passingford Bridge, the Roding being the boundary here. It then encompassed land adjoining Mount End, Theydon Mount, included Gaynes Park and so back to Garnon bushes, roughly an oval in shape and approximately seventeen miles in length. You can see what a large area this parish had, and with, as yet, no mention of Coopersale. In fact, this did not really exist as we now know it. A large common certainly, but very little habitation.

A main road which started in Newmarket did come via Thornwood through the forest (The Stump, crossing the Epping - Ongar road, and took the path roughly as of now, down to the Merry Fiddlers Hamlet, then straight on to Abridge and thence to London. It was a road composed mainly of gravel, and it is of interest here that in the Garnon Bushes and Forest Glade area was called forest waste land had a quarry where gravel was worked, and we must assume, used to maintain the stretch of road over the common.

Of interest, and still in existence is the property known as Canister Hall (the first building on your left after the railway bridge) which was used as a stopping place by coaches using the road, and where a change of horses, some refreshment, and a well-earned rest could be had. This was prior to the existence of the public house that we now know as the Garnon Bushes, which was formerly known as the Rose and Crown.

In the early part of the last century about twenty houses existed on Coopersale common, with quite a lot of woodland in the surrounding areas, particularly on the North and Eastern boundaries; peopled by agricultural workers and little else. If anything, the centre of Coopersale was 'The Street' to the Fiddlers crossroads. The inn knows as The Merry Fiddlers was of 17th century origin and possibly earlier, and undoubtedly gave its name to the area around the crossroads.

Opposite the Theydon Oak public house (I have not yet ascertained its ancestry) stands a large timber framed house, formerly a farmhouse, dating from the 16th century. An annexe on the Eastern end of the building was formerly the Post Office, in recent years one of two, the other being on the Common. A Mr Dowsett, who was a postman at Epping Post Office in the 30s' lived here and his wife was, I suppose, the Post mistress in charge. She ran it until its closure. Adjacent to this house was a large tithe barn, used by the clergy to collect tithes.

In the latter part of the 18th century development on the Epping side of Coopersale Street was continuing. Home Farm and the Elms opposite the Merry Fiddlers was built, as was Coopersale Lodge, lived in pre-second world war by Miss 'Georgie' Waters.

Now back tracking, we find that in 1801 the Theydon Garnon area had a total population of 517 persons, and this increased in 1851 to 1,237. On the extension of the L.N.E.R. steam railway from Epping to Ongar, the population had risen to 1,371 by 1891.

A census was carried out in 1901. The upshot of this was that parts of the parish were transferred to Epping. The population was then reduced to 317, although there were, in the total area, 1,746 persons.

The parts transferred included Coopersale Common, The Street, and the Fiddlers Hamlet; also Hemnall Street, Ivy Chimneys etc. This brought about a change in the status of Epping. An Urban District Council had been formed in 1896. Before this it had been know as the Epping Special Drainage Area. This, of course, enlarged the Epping area, and necessitated development and amenities to the people who moved into these acquired areas. I would suggest now that the foregoing is a sufficient introduction to the village of Coopersale, so I will proceed with enlarging on its growth and activities since its incorporation into the Epping Urban District, which it was so named until the new vast conglomerate was introduced some years ago.

Finally, as with my book on Epping Town, I would like to describe the various aspects which make up Coopersale village; the schools, the built up of the area over the years, the larger properties and their impact on the area, the church, the public houses, the lord of the manor, the building firms and sports facilities, and in fact, the amenities of the area, plus some useful and amusing anecdotes.




We will start here with the public houses, as these are normally meeting places for local people, and a source of much information.

Now, as far as I have been able to ascertain, the first public house was 'The Merry Fiddlers', situated on a cross roads at the end of Coopersale Street. It was first mentioned in the 17th century and could very well have been of earlier origin. How it got its name is a matter of conjecture. My guess is that a fair used to be held there. I do not know how often, but fairs usually have music of some kind, and also, public houses attract Morris Men, and these have music in their displays. I am assuming therefore, that the music would be provided by violinists who, suitably lubricated, would get a little merry, so, an obvious choice for a pub name.

There is not much point in going too far back with regard to mine host - perhaps within this century will suffice. Prior to the First World War a Mr S.W. Dunn was the landlord.




                                       Theydon Garnon, The Merry Fiddlers c 1908



Epping Forest District Council Museum Service

He moved to Hobbs Cross, and then to Bell Common Epping where he took on a shop. At one time a Mr Auger was mine host.

Then there was Mrs Kelsey, a twice married lady, two of whose daughters Florrie and Mary served in the bar. Then came a retired army officer, Mr Wilson. After him Ron Whiting, former licensee of the 'The Orange Tree' at Havering took over. Today the landlord is Mr McLean.

The brewers Benskin now supply the beer, (in 1908 it was Ind Coope) and on Guy Fawkes Night there is a huge bonfire and fireworks display. Clay pigeon shooting takes place in the Hoppit at the rear, and, I suppose, other attractions in their turn.

Getting back to fairs, back in 1872 an annual fair, formerly held on July 20th, was abolished on a petition of its owner Mr T.C. Chisenhale-Marsh, Lord of the Manor.

The Merry Fiddlers today, as is the case with its contemporise, serves excellent fare at reasonable prices.

At one time, possibly early 19th century, an ale house stood in Brickfield Road, and was known as 'Cooks in the Wood'. This was later turned into a dwelling place and the Skevington family lived there.

Possibly the next oldest of the three public houses would be the 'Theydon Oak', situated at the bottom of Stonards Hill, on the junction of Houblon's Hill and Coopersale Street. This old timbered hostelry is 18th century, but what part I have not been able to ascertain. Today it is a well patronised establishment, and the favourite watering hole of pop star Rod Stewart.




At one time this house had two bars, a public one and a saloon, with the loos outside. Today the saloon bar has been made into a restaurant, and the toilets brought inside.

As you enter the front door, on the wall to your right hangs a picture of two venerable old gentlemen, namely Charlie Russell and Loman Glasscock, privileged I think because over the years their cont4ributions gave them an honorary share in the place. As this house came under Mr Chisenhale-Marsh, who was associated with Charringtons Brewery, the beer is Bass-Charrington.

When I was young a Mrs Anne Reader was the landlady. Her daughter married a Belgian gentleman, Charlie de Blauwe, who carried on the tenancy. Their only daughter Marguerite married and lived opposite to me, before moving to Wales a few years ago. Their daughter Linda lives in the house now. The present landlord is Mr John Paget.

The last public house is on Coopersale Common at the northern end of Coopersale. If you turn into the road from the Epping, North Weald Ongar road, travel less than a quarter of a mile, and pass under the railway bridge, on your left is 'The Garnon Bushes' called until 1858 'The Rose & Crown', but now appropriately named after the area to the rear of the premises. It has a brick facade, and is, I would suspect, the youngest of the public houses mentioned.




I am not too well acquainted with mine hosts here. A Mr Read had it at one time, and more recently Mrs Margaret O'Reilly. At the present time the landlords are Tim and Frank Doyle. Other past publicans have been Mrs Cordell and Mr Bence, but which side of the last war I do not know. The Garnon Bushes is a free house, and the beer is supplied by Charringtons. Some organisations have made the house their own meeting place over the years.

Margaret O'Reilly and her late husband altered some of the property during their time as tenants, making a restaurant area which brought in much trade. She told me that at one time the beer was Christies. This could have been when it was 'The Rose and Crown' perhaps.

Apparently there was, in 1850, a beer shop on the Common, known as 'The Fox and Goose', but where, I know not.




Education at Coopersale has a history of small children walking a long way to school.

Not so, of course, in the present day. The building of the Parklands Estate, and other current building where the Cottage Homes used to be. Oak Glade, Cheveley Close, Garnon Mead, and some infilling here and there brought about a new school catering for infants and juniors of both sexes. So far present day children the school is virtually on the doorstep.

Prior to this, and going some long way back into the last century the first school was at Horns Farm on the road to Hill Hall. It was, at first, a pest house or work house, but changed to a school which accommodated children from all around the area; Theydon Mount and Hill Hall as well as Coopersale Street, and possible some children from Coopersale Common. What a long way to walk for small children, particularly so in bad weather. There were no buses, nor, in fact, any sort of transport.

Then in 1850 Miss Harriet Archer-Houblon, who resided in Coopersale House on Houblons Hill, had a school built in Coopersale Street, complete with a house for the headmaster. She took a great interest in the school, and a few years later she donated a further £300,000 to build an extension. The local vicar (from the church at Hobbs Cross because this church served the area concerned) supervised the work, and some local Anglican also contributed to its support.

In 1858-59 an attendance of 88 pupils was recorded, in 1871 200 pupils, and strangely, on its enlargement attendance dropped to 180 pupils. In 1880 the average number of pupils was 117. The Government grant rose from £37.00 in 1873 to £124.00 in 1902.

One Headmaster of the later period was a Mr Lemon, whose son George owns the Epping Laundry on Bower Hill. Under him were four teachers and a probationer. My Godmother, as then a Miss Susan Crane, taught there until her marriage to Fred Wright, a butcher who came up from Thaxted to work for Jimmy Fields, and later John Furze at the bottom end of Epping High Street, where the pet shop now is.

A Miss (Moggy) Freeman taught here until she transferred to the boys school in St. John's Road Epping under Mr A. E. Piper. Whilst at Epping she gave me, as well as the other boys, the ruler many a time.

Gilbert Temple was the last headmaster to serve the school, and survived its closure upon the building of the school in Brickfield Road. He only died in recent years, and had still been living in the schoolhouse.








As Coopersale Common was slowly being built up, it had still been a trek for small children to attend Coopersale Street School, and it did in fact, cater for children from Theydon Mount and Hill Hall area upon the closure of their own school.

At eleven years of age, of course they were dispersed to senior schools, either at Epping, Ongar or Harrow.

I mentioned at the beginning of this chapter that Horns Farm had originally been the first form of school in the area, prior to which it had been a workhouse. I have been assured that this was so, although I have no written verification of this.

In 1714 a parish or pest house was discussed, and in August 1729 (note the time lag here) it was decided to seek a suitable place, and in September of that year it was resolved to provide a workhouse.

Nothing was done until 1742, when a Mr Rogers house was taken for three years at £8.00 per year rent, and in 1746 this was changed to a yearly rent of £7.00. Subsequent entries for the payment of the rent makes it clear that the property used as a workhouse was sometimes described as 'in the street', presumably Coopersale Street, so perhaps the road meandered in that direction at one time. When it was turned into a school other houses were used until in June 1793 the parish had leased a cottage on the Common from the Lord of the Manor at a rent of £1.10.0d., which it quit in 1807. In 1829 another house was acquired. It was occupied at the time by a poor person, one William Brown, who in November of that year got notice to quite. No relation of mine, I hope!!

I wonder if this was the beginning of the Cottage Homes. We shall see.




In this chapter I hope to cover several subjects, which, in themselves, would not warrant a separate write-up.

In the last century there was no proper sanitation, nor a public clean water system in keeping with Epping Town's growth, and this also applied to Coopersale, as it was still part of the parish of Theydon Garnon.

In about 1853 a local doctor, Joseph Clegg, complained to the Board of Health about the need for a sewage and waterworks. He had to campaign for around twenty years before such works were started.

In the absence of a local Board of Health, responsibility for sanitation was divided between the Epping Poor Law Union and the parish vestries of Epping, Theydon Garnon and Theydon Bois, Dr. Clegg was opposed by those such as the Vicar of Epping Thomas Tuck, and two large landowners, Thomas Chisenhale-Marsh of Gaynes Park, and John Archer-Houblon of Coopersale House, who considered his proposals extravagant and unnecessary in such a small town. His supporters included the Congregational Minister J. Teesdale David, whose daughter had died of fever, and Benjamin Winstone, a Quaker and local historian.

Clegg's first approach to the Government was fruitless, but in 1856 the Epping Vestry appointed a nuisance removal committee but this did very little. Over the next ten years there were cases of Cholera, Typhoid and other diseases spread by bad sanitation and in 1867, when the death rate was the highest in Essex, Clegg complained to the Home Office under a section of the Sanitary Act 1866.

The section empowered the Home Office on such a complaint and due enquiry to order the local authority to carry out sanitary works, and, on default, to supersede the authority and carry out the works, and to levy a rate to pay for them. Epping was one of seven places in the country where the section was fully applied.

With Clegg's complaint being justified, no remedy was possible until there was a single local authority for the district. A petition was submitted demanding a special drainage district, and in 1868 this was granted to Epping Town and its environs.

A sewer committee was elected. It did nothing, and in November 1868 they all resigned. This caused the Home Office to decide to do the work itself, but it had a technical error in its scheme which was challenged in the Queen's Bench by two local solicitors in 1870, but the action failed.

In 1872 an artesian well was sunk, a water tower built, water mains and main sewers were laid over a large part. The well yielded only one third of what was expected and even this amount could not be used because no service pipes had been laid to individual premises.

Much to-ing and fro-ing ensued over several years with the Government pressing the rural sanitary authority to take over this work together with the debt £11,900 at 5%in the construction. In 1878 they finally agreed to pay part of the debt over twenty years, and to assist repayment they sold the water works in 1879 to a private firm. Some few years elapsed before water coming from Sawbridgeworth was piped all over the district, and a sewage works was started with an outfall in the north of the town, and another adjacent to the Merry Fiddlers Hamlet.

All this might not seem to have anything to do with Coopersale, but it does, because the proposed sanitation and water supply would, and did, include Coopersale. Also note that two of the three detractors lived in Coopersale. In fact, all of them, as the Vicar Mr Tuck would have been at Hobbs Cross church, which was in the Theydon Garnon parish, soon to become part of the proposed Epping Urban District.

The build-up of Coopersale Common began on its being a part of the Epping Urban District from around 1902.

The main road through the common was not properly made up until the early 1930's. Part of the Institute Road Estate was built in 1926, as was also the Village Institute, which was donated by Mr H. E. J. Camps, who had purchased and lived at Coopersale House. The next road to be built was St. Alban's followed by Laburnum. Vicarage Road was still being built at the outbreak of the Second World War.

Two hospitals appeared in the Forest Glade and Garnon Bushes area, isolation and a smallpox hospital, the principal living in the Forest Edge, approached by the North Lodge entrance to Gaynes Park. When these were closed a local family lived there for some years, and, I understand, it is still lived in today.

A few older cottages were around the railway bridge, Garnon Bushes area. Canister Hall reverted to a dwelling or dwellings. Ernie (Ginger) Fleming lived in one, and George Fossey in the other. I shall return to these two gentlemen later on. Up in Woodlands lived Jim Willis, a carpenter who came from Suffolk to work at Gaynes Park. His four sons also in their turn worked there.

On the other side of the North Lodge entrance road stood a bungalow wherein Mr Taylor the Gamekeeper lived, and at North Farm Harry Pegrum lived for some years. The Smith family and Mrs. Gallant lived at Little Park Hall until the M11 motorway came through, when it was demolished.

Further into the wood somewhere behind the present Cricket Field and the Parklands Estate stood a pair of cottages, in one of which lived the Glasscock family. Several of them were more than useful cricketers for the Coopersale Eleven. I played with them at one time. 'Dutchy' Holland lived in the other house.

The Cottage Homes were built in 1912 and were not, as I first thought, the workhouse used after the eviction of my namesake. That would now appear to have been what we now know as St. Margaret's Hospital, as that was originally a Union Workhouse, which was in the parish of Theydon Garnon in 1836. The homes existed for about seventy years, and numbers being 84 - 102 Coopersale Common and numbers 25 - 33 St. Alban's Road, and they catered for orphan children, but more on this later.

Two shops served the people. The first was run by the Misses Pretlove in the middle of the village, opposite the present Piazza. The other shop was just past the Institute Road running, and was owned at one time, I remember, by Dick Foss.

Up to the beginning of the First World War cottages appeared by the roadside, and some Council houses and a few private houses were built during the 20's. After the Second World War the Parklands Estate was built, and the two old shops become dwellings when a shopping parade was built on the Piazza.

Other private properties appeared. Cheveley Close was built opposite the Garnon Bushes, and further along, Oak Glade. More recently the Cottage Homes site has had new houses built on it, and Garnon Mead, a private estate was built at the rear of the Garnon Bushes pub. When Garnon Mead was built it was apparently taboo to name streets or areas after people, but the area was part of Garnon Woods. The surveyor in charge of the Urban District Council was Harry Mead. But remember, mead is also short for meadow.

In 1987 seventy acres of Garnon Woods was purchased by the Essex Wildlife Trust, and is now a nature reserve.

Many trees in the area were blown down during the hurricane of that year. At the other end of the Common at the rear of 'Southview' some oaks were felled in 1993 to make gates for the newly restored Springfield Lock at Chelmsford. Two Enormous Shire horses were brought to drag the timber out, but the lie of the land and the weight of the trees proved too much, so tractors came in to finish the job.

The Parish Room was re-opened in 1995, having just been restored by Malcolm Eckton, a local builder, who resides in and operates from the village.

Due to its proximity to the airfield at North Weald Coopersale was not without its share of damage during the Second World War. Many a ceiling was brought down and windows blown out.

Coopersale has its share of activities for its size. The newly restored Parish Room is regularly used again, the Institute caters for a nursery school a brownie troop, the Horticultural Society, the Senior Citizens Club, flora art and others. There is a football team which plays on Stonards Hill playing fields; whilst the cricket team use the old Brickfields site. There are three public houses serving excellent fare, and, last but not least, St. Albans Church. There is an unfortunately not too frequent bus service, which is a shame, as older residents doing their shopping in Epping have to wait a long time for a return bus, or hire a taxi; not a cheap form of transport.

The L.N.E.R. railway was extended from Epping to Ongar via North Weald and Blake Hall. It did not have much impact on Coopersale apart from passing through part of the land to the north west of the village. A Bridge over the road adjacent to Canister Hall caused the entrance road to North Farm and Gaynes Park to be diverted to the other side of the said Hall, which left a pair and a terrace of three cottages just prior to the bridge. During the 30's a Mr Agombar got up a petition asking for a halt at Coopersale, but this was turned down on, as usual, cost grounds due to the difficulty of the terrain at the proposed site.

Coopersale was really in no worse case than Blake Hall Station, with only one or two houses very near.

I suppose that it would not have benefited people all that much, except for those working in London. Ordinarily, going into Epping to shop or for whatever purpose still meant a trek up Station Road hill,  and in the 30's there was an adequate bus service, not as now.

There is talk again of a possible halt if one of the proposed users of the line to Ongar (at present closed) ever get the go ahead, but we shall have to see if this materialises.

Organisations operating in Coopersale need a little further elaboration. I have just briefly listed them previously.

The Horticultural Society had been in existence since 1926, and has seen good and bad times.

At one time it held gymkhanas and dog shows, as well as the Horticultural Produce Show. A tented show, it included the area now covered by the Parklands Estate. Lots of eminent show men and women of their day supported it, as did several local worthies. George Archer was one.

It now boasts three shows per year. The Spring Show and the Autumn Show are held in the Institute and the Summer Show is held at the school, with added attractions, stalls, old restored motor vehicles, tractors and pumps of varied types.

Like most organisations it is run by a few stalwarts, some getting past their ' sell by date' and new younger blood would be made welcome in order to ensure the continuation of the Society. A Trading hut at the rear of the Institute is open to members at reasonable prices on most Sunday mornings throughout the year, manned by friendly men and women.

The nursery school had been running for a number of years, until recently run by Mrs Doreen Pavitt, doing a very worthwhile job.

The Senior Citizens Club was formed nearly 30 years ago by the Young Wives Organisation, who ran it until there were sufficient old folk to run it for themselves. 60 plus is the criteria for joining. The club meets fortnightly in the Village Hall, and, at present, is trying to think of ways and means of encouraging people to join.

Albert Skinner and Arthur Hyde served it well for years, but Hubert Porter did the longest stint - about 22 years. Yours truly is the present incumbent of the Chair, and I have got to go some to catch Hubert up.

I have but scant knowledge of the other organisations, so, apart from registering their existence, I do not propose to enlarge on them The Cricket Club which used to play on the allotment site at the rear of the institute had to move when Institute Road was made and houses built, so they went to their present site in Brickfield Road. How many remember the following people who played for them over the years, starting from the 1926 period. There were Jack 'Spratty' Day, Denny Godfrey, Bert Hyde, Charlie Piggott, S. Godfrey, Geoff Tredgett, W. Seymour, Arty Peters, Ted Fenner, H Lloyd and A. Sheridan, with George E Fossey as umpire. Jack Day was the skipper; a bit hitter and useful bowler.

In later years on the Brickfield Road ground all of the following played at different times.

Alf Perry, Jim Fleming, George, Hugh and John Stallan, Peter Newton, Bert Ross, Frank Osbourne, Les Green, Fred Brown, 'Nigger' Piggott, Graham and Malcolm Kent, Ron Collier, Jim Tredgett, Tim, Fred and Ted Glasscock Paul Pearce, to name just some of them. Undoubtedly I have missed some names out, but I cannot remember them all, so if you played and have not been mentioned, forgive me.

The football team I do not know anything about but I believe that they are a useful side in their division.

Some years before the last war a fortnightly dance was held in the Institute. Dancing was to Bert Houchen's band from Chingford. These musicians were all decorators and semi pro. Players, Len Stein played alto saxophone, Bert Houchen played the drums, the pianists differed over the years. One named Ernie also played the accordion and had a good singing voice. Dancers from all around the area enjoyed their music. Topper Tredgett was M.C. and the entrance price was 1/6d single and 2/6d double (in old money). Alas! All this has gone.





Up until now I have concentrated only on Coopersale Common, but the village does travel as far as the Fiddlers Hamlet, so we must now take a look at this aspect.

Coopersale Street starts at the bottom of Stonards Hill, and here we will outline the buildings and interesting features about the area.

Starting on the right hand side there is a timbered building known as 'Yeomans' which was originally called Dover Court, a 16th century listed building which, in between the two World Wars or possibly prior, had been made into four dwelling places. Mr Shoat, Loman Glasscock, Ned Chaplin and Mr Tickner lived in them.

Ned Chalin was known as 'Crutchy' because he had a game leg and used what looked like a homemade crutch; a tee piece bound with cloth on a pole, which he placed under his armpit to help him walk about. He had a grey horse which pulled a small cart, and he carried milk from somewhere in the area up into Epping. His horse was stalled, and his cart kept, in two old sheds (now garages) opposite his house, just before the turn to Houblons Hill.

Next door to 'Yeomans' stood a pair of cottages, in one of which lived Mrs Warren and her son Wilfred. The other was occupied by Bill Fathers, who married Alice Baker nee Hall.

We then come to Stewards Green Lane which came out at the four houses. Along one side of this lane stood some little cottages, in which lived Granny Foster, Bill Pearce, Mr Smith, Mr Perry from the Common, and Harry Esling who used to be barman at the Victoria Buildings in Epping High Street.

Another listed building is the large barn and farm house which comes next along the road side, and at the end of the farmhouse is an annexe which used to be a sub Post Office, the other being on the Common.

Then, right on the roadside, at what is called a pinch point, stood a pair of alms-houses. Janey Judd lived in the first one, and a Mrs Wakelin in the other, later a Mrs Purkiss.

Poor Janey was a little simple and was the butt of much fun by the boys from the common on their way to school. Janey's water supply and toilet was on the other side of the road. The lads used to offer to get her water for her, and just as they got to her door, would drop the pain and run away laughing, so the poor old soul had to get her water herself. She got caught like this many times. Children can be cruel sometimes.





These little houses are still there, made into one by Maudie Chase from the shop in Epping High Street, with her horsey friend Miss Goldsmith.

At the rear of these premised stood a house lived in by a Mr Pearce, and then 'Rest Harrow', Mr Smith. A small cottage next might have been to do with the large house on that side 'Coopersale Lodge', wherein lived Georgie Waters. Later Arthur Fosh lived there for some years.

On the other side, starting from opposite 'Yeomans' Mr H. E. J. Camps had some cottages built for members of his staff, and, after Ned's sheds, a cottage stands on the corner. Then comes the Theydon Oak public house, with its oak tree up in the corner of the children play area, and, on the bend of the road is South Lodge' and the entrance to the manor Gaynes Park.

There are no other buildings then until we reach the old school house, then a small bungalow wherein lived Job Bowles, one time butcher and car enthusiast; and to end that side of the road, a pair of cottages lived in by Mr Toomey and family. Daughter Pat worked in the post office as part of the counter staff for years. Rex and Doug played cricket for both Epping and Ongar.

Then came 'Janet's Pantry' run by Mrs Turner and her sister Tilly. This ran for years after the Second World War.

Just before the Fiddlers Hamlet crossroads stand some old sheds where Les Wood from Epping started a car spraying and repair business which is still operating today, run by his two sons-in-laws and trading as the Wood Family.

Fiddlers Hamlet, we established earlier, was the start of Coopersale village, and prior to World War II had several cottages around the area. On the corner after the Wood family business stood a pair of houses, lived in by Mrs Foster and Granny Austin. These houses were knocked down during the war. After the houses were demolished a searchlight battery occupied the site and a Nissen hut was built. This was used by the Jarvis family after the war.

Next in the sequence was Mr Hall and Mrs Mears.

On the Merry Fiddlers side lived Mr Lambert, then Mrs Hall who had a small shop. The small cottage came next with Mr & Mrs Shipp and Fletcher. After which was a terrace of small houses with Mr Holland, Mr Freshwater, Mr Baker, the Groves and Glasscocks, and a Mr Downham whose daughter Rose was a Salvationist.

The landlord of the Merry Fiddlers public house at an early period was Mr Dunn, who moved into the cottages up by the Forest Gate public house on Bell Common, when a Mr West took over. These were, of course, prior to those I have already mentioned.




Mr Groves had a lodger, a painter Len Lander, who married Alice (Topsy) Austin, prior to moving into Osborne Cottages on Coopersale Common.

Over in Home Farm still stands a brick building built as a mess hall for American troops working on Willingale Airfield on the corner opposite the Merry Fiddlers was 'The Elms' owned by a Mr Collinson, behind which once stood a hall used as a Mission Hall.

Mrs Lemon played the harmonium there. The hall was damaged when the bomb fell adjacent and was taken down. Then came Bridge Farm, so called after Masons Bridge which is in the road at the Merry Fiddlers.

The fields of Bridge Farm were used for growing bean by Frank Hoy to sell on his grocers’ barrow in Epping High Street. They were also used as a Golf Course.




There is now only one church serving Coopersale, although, I dare say, people in the Fiddlers Hamlet area go to Theydon Garnon (Hobbs Cross) church.

The latter, of course, was the original church of the Theydon Garnon parish, and was so until the church of St. Alban's was built on Coopersale Common. Hobbs Cross church, as it is locally known, was in existence in 1274, and possibly twenty years earlier.

 A certain William Kyrkeby was rector in and around 1450, and he died in 1458. He was also rector of North Fambridge, and St. John the Baptist in London, from which he resigned in 1445. That he held several rectories at one time is not really strange, as the parochial work was done by curates. It is stated that a John Tailleur assisted in this capacity at Theydon Garnon church.

Coming up to date, between the wars the Rev. Armitage was in command for some years, and Mr Hough (Huff) from Hydes was prominent both before and after the Second World War; possible as a sideman. The Rev. Howard Crellin did much to liven up the church, getting a generally much larger congregation than there had hitherto been. He gathered the most unlikely lads into his choir, and he always maintained, when someone was asked why they did not attend church and the reply was that it was too far to walk, that is was no further than ones front door, as he had transport laid on, and for some long time a small bus picked up on Stewards Green Corner. The first port of call on the way back was the Merry Fiddlers, with Howard to the fore! Very much a people’s vicar, it was a sad day when he departed.

The Rev. Glasspool is now the incumbent.

Joe Tucker, a well-known gentleman, was the verger under the Rev. Crellin. Latterly, Marjorie West did yeoman service.

This then was the only church to service Coopersale until 1852 when St. Albans church was built on the Common, donated by Miss Harriet Archer-Houblon, who lived in Coopersale House. She also provided the Vicarage and the Parish Room.

List of incumbents of St. Albans Church:

1852 - 1854 Rev. Cadwallader-Coker (went to Fringford, Bicester)

1854 - 1891 Rev. Richard Fort

1891 - 1921 Rev. E. H. Grain

1921 - 1925 Rev. F. E. Doubleday

1925 - 1932 Rev. J. S. Hole

1932 - 1941 Rev. H. B. Reiss (Rev. Hole and Rev. Reiss exchanged to and from Harwich)

1941 - 1946 Rev. I. Whitehouse

1946 - 1951 Rev. S. Smith (Rev. Whitehouse and Rev. Smith exchanged to and from Buckhurst Hill)

1952 - 1961 Rev. W. L. Betts

1961 - 1991 Rev. R. J. Harding

1991 - Rev. Evans.

I do not think that the church has a permanent vicar at present, at least, not one that lives in the Vicarage.

As at one time a large part of Epping came within the parish of Theydon Garnon, my father’s parents are buried in the churchyard, as is my only aunt on my father’s side, and a cousin.

Jim Saunders was caretaker of the church for some years.



Originally there was no lych gate. This was built and dedicated on Ascension Day 1907 in memory of William and Elizabeth Pearson, and was made from the wood of six oak trees given by Mr Chisenhale-Marsh. The weathercock, which was made of zinc, blew off in a gale in February 1910. It was replaced by one made of copper, and Messrs’ Whiffin cleverly carved out the figure of a bird.

In the early fifties the stone pulpit was replaced by one made of oak. The firm Robert Thompsons of Kilburn near York did the work leaving their trademark of a mouse on the side of the panel nearest the pulpit steps. On the North side of the church is a window showing St. Francis of Assisi, and a lamp of remembrance dedicated to the memory of Mr H. E. J. Camps, for many years a churchwarden of the parish. Also on the North wall is another window showing the Virgin Mary, Child Jesus and Child John the Baptist, and below, a fish, the sign used by early Christians. This was dedicated on the 7th September 1969 to Mrs Camps.




Local properties of interest must start with Gaynes Park, which was the capital manor of the parish. I have now ascertained that the original manor stood north of the present big house, possibly where Park Hall stood.

The word Gaynes or Gains, the dictionary tells me, means pasture, so it is possible that the area being a mix of forest and arable land, it was so named. Gaynes Park was the largest of the three manors of the parish of Theydon Garnon; the other two being Garnish Hall at Hobbs Cross, and Hemnalls, long since gone.

I do not think it necessary to go back further than the period in the last century when the Marsh family acquired the property. Thomas Coxhead Marsh was the Lord of the Manor, and it is still in the family today as far as I know.

Hugo Chisenhale-Marsh, who died on 3rd May 1996, just two weeks short of his 81st birthday, was Lord of the three Manors. The estate consists of 750 acres of farmland and 350 acres of woodland. It is said that if you started on the eastern side of Epping Station Bridge, one could walk as far as North Weald Station and still be on Gaynes Park estate land.

Gaynes Park house is now used for other purposes, as Hugo had moved to Horns Farmhouse several years ago.

The family had connections with Charrington's Brewery; hence two of the public houses still sell Charrington's beers.

The Marsh family held to Theydon Garnon church and was associated with it for some years. There is much evidence of their patronage. They owned, at one time, almost all of Coopersale, except for the area Coopersale House, and some arable land which belonged to John Archer-Houblon.

The Archer-Houblons owned the next largest property in the parish; John succeeding to the estate in 1739. As a point of interest, one of the Houblon ancestors was Sit John Houblon, who founded the Bank of England, and whose portrait is on the current fifty pound note.

I will digress for a moment here. In researching information I came upon this. At the battle of Agincourt a certain Simon de Bois was an excellent archer in Henry V's army, and sometime after the battle, on returning home the king held an archery contact at Havering-atte-Bower. Here Simon surpassed himself. So much so that the king commanded him to change his name to Archer. He then, was the progenitor of the Archer family.

To return now to John, a descendent. He died in 1800 but left a daughter Susanna, who in 1770 had married Jacob Houblon of Hallingbury Place, who died in 1783.

Susanna went to live at Coopersale House on her father's demise as it had been unoccupied since her mother's death in 1776. In 1819 Susanna adopted the name of Houblon-Newton. She died in 1837. The estate passed to her grandson John Archer-Houblon, who died in 1865. His daughter, Miss Harriet Archer-Houblon, who did much good work providing the school, the church and the vicarage, died in 1896, and the house remained empty for some years. The contents of the house were sold off in 1908, and the whole estate was sold in 1914, when it was bought for a religious order, who occupied it during the First World War. In 1920 it was bought by Mr H. E. J. Camps.



After Mr Camps, the house was lived in by Mr Dudley-Ward from 1936-1944, then the Countess How, and in 1946 Major Jocelyn Hambro, Rupert Murdock resided there for a while, and then Mr Gerald Scott O.B.E. today?

Reverting to the Archer-Houblon family, there was a great frost in February 1895, which caused many problems. Hydrants were frozen up, and the large lake at Coopersale House was frozen over. Miss Archer-Houblon invited skaters to use the lake, around which Chinese lanterns were hung. Trees were also illuminated with fairy lights, tea and refreshments were provided and an Ice Carnival was held in the evening, culminating in a firework display.

The Cottage Homes have played their part in Coopersale's history. They were built in 1912 and a Miss Alice Fleming was matron there for twenty-two years. She was assisted by Miss Skinner, who had been a nurse at St Margaret's Hospital on Epping Plain. Alice, who was born at Thornwood, and was sister to Ernest (Ginger), retired to a nurse’s home at Dereham in Norfolk, where she died aged 92 years.

She must also have worked at some time at Theydon Place, the home of Mr J. G. Pelly in Hemnall Street, as she had been living in a small cottage where Pelly Court stands today. In fact, Alice, Alfred (Coffee) Wood and the Lenin sisters, Janey and Lily had to vacate their little cottages in order that the Council could build, eventually, some twenty-eight flats, proposed by the Council, and known as Pelly Court.

Whilst at the Cottage Homes one of the duties was to make the children's clothes, particularly the girls dresses from blue and white gingham material, as no provision was made for them.

Miss Sylvia Bass was a cleaner there, as was an attractive ginger haired lady who married George Payne. Mrs Staines and Mrs Wetherall were also there until the buildings were demolished.

Fred Butcher was the gardener there, and he provided a lot of their vegetables from the kitchen garden.




In every group of people there are those who do, those who don't and some who, by their attitude and, perhaps, speech, leave their mark, and here we will look at just that.

Ernie Fleming was a local resident of note. He lived in one of the two cottages just short of the railway bridge, and he had a large family, including some attractive daughters.


Ernie (Ginger) Fleming

One time Policeman and Pig Keeper





Just after the Second World War he moved into Canister Hall, where his sister Alice had lived, and where he had kept pigs for some time. It is said that he taught the then Council Surveyor and Sanitary Inspector Harry Mead all about swine fever.

During the war, of course, people who kept pigs were allowed to slaughter one per year for their own consumption. On a tip off, I suppose, a policeman called on Ernie, but was sent happily on his way with a leg of pork! Apparently a secret hideout by the fireplace, covered with a curtain, kept prying eyes away, should anyone in authority call.

Ernie had, himself, been a Metropolitan policeman when younger but had had to retire through ill health. Whilst on his beat one day in the Bloomsbury Square area, an apple covered with a duster flew out of a bedroom window. On returning it to a somewhat flustered maid, a friendship struck up, ending with Ernie marrying the lady.

Another well-known gentleman, George Fossey lived in the first house in Canister Hall, and his claim to fame was umpiring for the Coopersale Cricket Club, very much partisan, if a Coopersale bowler appealed for leg before wicket and your man was a foot outside the stumps, George gave him out. Whenever an appeal was made by the other side, in circumstances where the bats man was plumb, 'not out' said George. He was the butt of much controversy at times, but I suppose that he felt that he was doing his duty. It was George's son who, in 1975, made the ibrary and Bookstall bookcases for St. Albans church from old discarded pews.

Tommy Styles, who originated from Woodyard at some stage, was wont to go into the Misses Pretlove's shop, where a chair was kept specifically for him. One morning soon after his wife had died, he was in his chair in the shop when a lady asked him how his wife had died, to which Tommy replied; ‘She stopped breathing'!

Hubert Porter, still alive at over 90 years of age, in his time had been prominent in the running of the local L.T.B. garage in Epping. Pretty much his own man, Hubert rescued the Horticultural Society at one Stage; ran a successful concert party, and led the Senior Citizens Club for twenty years or more.

Arthur (Arky) Hyde, by trade a propagating gardener at Egg Hall and St. Margaret's Hospital, was another well know individual. Staunchly Labour, he carried the flag in Coopersale, and led the small Labour group on the Urban District Council. He served the area faithfully and well for several years, and also gave his spare time to the Senior Citizens.

Ada Foster, who lived in one of the small cottages in Brickfield Road, and was, I can remember, always making cakes etc. for the Horticultural Society, worked as a cook with her sister for Mrs. Vivian Pelly at Woodside. She was found by the milkman one morning, lying dead in the garden.

Harry Kettle, a woodman who worked on the Gaynes Park estate, and was another pillar of the Horticultural Society, sadly ended up in a wheel chair until his death.

George Wilkin of St Alban's Road, played professional football for Tottenham Hotspur in his youth. He has left his mark in and around his home with many a front and side fence which he made from scrap wood and erected. He took it upon himself to repair items misused in the Village Hall, and he, with Don Baker, erected a small shed at the east side of the hall for the Senior Citizens. Always the life and soul of any party, a real extrovert was George. Much missed I'm afraid.

Old Mr. Tredgett (Suds), I wonder how he came by that nickname; was a sawyer for James Whiffen the builder. The Tredgett family was quite large. Geoff, who played cricket for Coopersale, also kept goal for Epping Town. Like his father he worked at Whiffens, driving a lorry. Harvey (Topper) for years ran the fortnightly dance at the Institute and was N.C. Ken, or 'Kick' was lame in one leg, but managed a little smallholding where Oak Glade stands today. Just after the Second World War he sold all sorts of feeding stuff for chickens, etc., for the Horticultural Society. Stan, who drove a van for the International Stores, lived, at one time, in a pre-war council house roughly where part of the Piazza stands today. Bert Hyde also lived in one of these council houses, as did Mrs Glasscock, known as Mother Sixtoes, and Mr. Stallan.

Several of Stan's children are still with us. Cliff is a stalwart of the Horticultural Society.

Lastly in this section I will return to the Cottage Homes, where, as I said, orphans were looked after and brought up.

One young lad, who originated from Waltham Abbey, had injured his back when young, and he spent eighteen or so years in and out of St. Margaret's Hospital, ending up with a slight hump.

He overcame his problems with music; Country and Western was his forte. It is said that he once rode a white horse, for a dare, into the foyer of the Angel, Edmonton. A real character, he dressed the part, either with an enormous white Stetson, or Indian clothes. In fact, he got married to his wife, who he called Princess Roth, wearing authentic Indian clothing, with a suitable escort of gentlemen friends similarly attired, complete with stove pipe hats!.

Ray Archer and I were privileged to attend a concert at Havering on the day he got married. Ray used to sit with our friend at school down the street. His name, Alan Withers, know more prominently as Tex, one of the best Country and Western entertainers this country had produced. He mixed with notables like Johnny Cash and Hank Snow. He eventually lived at Burgess Hill in Sussex. Sadly, he contracted throat troubles from which he died.

Joe Kent was a bit of a wag. When asked where he went to school his reply was 'Mr Pipers Academy for Backward Boys', meaning the Boys school in St. John's Road, Epping.

In class one day the said Mr Piper was asking individual boys question on geography, and he said could anyone tell him the height of Mt.Kilimanjaro. Up popped Joe, 'Yes Sir, the height is -' and he proceeded to state the height. Immediately Mr Piper said, 'stand up Kent', 'who told you' Joe replied 'I read it in a book sir'.

Back in John Styles time in the Woodyard he had a brick making concern. The Woodyard was at some time known as 'Soloman's Hoppit'. Apparently it was the place where 'Samian Ware' Romano - British origin was discovered.




In the last chapter I dealt with some of the worthies well known in various ways in Coopersale, and now, would like to mention some prominent families.

I have been assisted here by Don Baker, who supplied me with his family tree, but I do not propose to use it all; just to take some salient points from it.

The families of the Whiffens, Bakers and Stallans are intertwined. A young James Whiffen came from Saffron Walden and married Miss Sarah Styles. They had ten children.

Amelia Laura Whiffen married George Stallan, and they had three boys, Claude, Sidney and Fred. Sid Stallan married Miss Tarling from Theydon Mount. They had several children, George, Reginald, Vera and Gladys, who I understand, is still with us today, and lives at Loughton. Sid, a great sportsman, did much for Coopersale sport, particularly the football team which he organised and ran for years. Claude married Mabel and had Hugh and John, both cricketers for Coopersale. Fred had Horace, still with us and living at Potter Street. He tells me that the family was of Dutch extraction.

Elizabeth Mary Whiffen married George Baker, and they also had ten children, of which the prominent ones were Noel and Harvey. They set up a business which lasted some years until they split up and Noel carried on with the support of his two sons Donald and Gordon. When Noel died the two boys still traded as the Baker Brothers G & D. Both have now retired.

There were at one time fields where Parklands Estate now stands, where James Whiffen had a builder’s yard, as did the Baker Brothers.

There was, apparently, a gate on the roadside, giving access to both Whiffens and Bakers yards, and also to the cottage where the Skevington family lived, which, I understand, caused much controversy, the more so when the senior Baker Brothers split up and Harvey retained the small works, whilst Noel went back to where he lived, retaining the building.

In Whiffen's yard was a sawpit wherein Mr Tredgett worked. In fact, Whiffens carried quite a large work force at one time.

The Whiffen brothers ran the firm on the departure of James; there was Fred, Maurice, Gaius, and one commonly known as 'Bolt' (he rode a tricycle). All had their own teams. They had a works at the bottom of Epping Town which later moved to Tidys Lane. It still exists, although not now owned by Whiffens. Gaius, who lived roughly where Cheveley Close is, carried on for some time on his own, his son Dick, eventually taking over. He, after some years, sold up and went to Australia.

Until recent years it was the practice of the Institute management committee to share the maintenance work between the local firms, Whiffens and Bakers. How these have departed, and the only regular building is Malcolm Eckton, whose mother came from Epping.





A general description of the residents on the Common around 1934, commencing with Coopersale Cottage (Farmhouse), which went with the adjacent farm and had the dairy attached. A path from the back door went to the farm.

After it became a private residence. A Colonel Tuffnell lived there with a housekeeper. In the front room he had old spears stuck in a pot. Perhaps his military service was in Africa or India.

Then at the Vicarage was the Rev. Hole.

The Gate House came next. Prior to it being built an old timbered cottage, with leaded diamond paned windows, occupied the site, lived in by Dusty Furlong and his family, Marshall, Gerald, William, Gustave and daughters Marie and Dulcie. When they moved out the building remained empty for some while and was eventually pulled down. The 'Gate House' was erected for Sir Evelyn Russell, who married Miss Joan Camps, to live in. Their daughter Mrs Sarah Hoare and her family live there now.

The Cottage Homes were next.

Then came:-


82. George Whiffen (Bolt) Bob Willis lives there now.

80. Tommy Styles from the Brickfield. He was also a bell ringer. Topper Tredgett lived with him for a      while, and on Tommy's death Topper took over the property.

78. George Hyde

76. Mumfords. In recent years Chicken Hammond until his death.

74. Harvey Baker, Colin's father and one of the original Baker Brothers.

72. Sam Foster who bit dogs' tails off. (Known as docking)

70. Old shop, 'Garnon Stores' - Dick Foss

68. Yewtree Cottage. Drummer Law, a gravel digger, with Anna his housekeeper. Later Bill and Alice Fathers.

66. Walnut Cottage, over Institute Road. Poultons lived there, but it was empty for 22 years. Eventually Mr Clench (tallyman), bought it, pulled it down and had a new house erected on the site in which he lived.

58. Charlie Piggott

56. Mr and Mrs Tarlin

54. Mr Maize

52. Pretloves old shop and Post Office

50. Down the lane. Noel Baker, Don's father (the other half of Baker Brothers)

48. Granny Godfrey

46. Tom Paine

44. Colin Baker

42. George Godfrey

40. Arthur Hyde

38. May Perry. Now Malcolm Eckton (builder)

36. Mr Heath, an insurance man. Carried a parrot on his shoulder. Used to walk to Nazeing. Earlier this house was Tommy Styles first home. Then came the Raycroft family.

Four cottages came next, with Jack Austin, hay binder: Geoff Tredgett, Stan Tredgett and Mrs Jenkins. Hubert Archer also lived somewhere here at one time.

Then there was another small terrace in which lived Walter (Suds) Tredgett and his family, Sid Perry, Chapmans, Eldridges, then Albert Skinner and Harold Pugh in a pair of semis, then Joe Kent and Mr Clench who I previously mentioned.

Gaius Whiffen's house came next, roughly where Cheveley Close is now. Then Lil and Mabel Pretlove (sisters). Mrs Love's house ended the row this side of the bridge.

Beyond the bridge were Charlie Clark and Ernie Fleming. Then came a group of three cottages, with Fred Butcher, who worked at the Grove and then at the Homes, Alf and Doris Perry, and Mr Vass a threshing engine driver.

On the other side, going back to the church:-

Cannister Hall - A Mr Hyde, wheelwright. I believe he had a shop in Epping High Street with a Mr Hummerston. Afterwards George Fossey lived here, and later still Tom Wood - gasman.




Next door was Alice Fleming, and later Ernie as well.

Across from the road leading to North Lodge lived Mr Hammond, who worked for John Furze, Epping butcher.

Next in line came:-

Mrs Starling

Vera Clark

Tom Paul (Poole) - bricklayer

Garnon Bushes public house - Mrs Coderell Mine Host (see also public houses)

Mrs Miller

Mrs Sutton

Gaius Whiffen later

Pegrums 'Newstead' Mr Irvine Banyard is now resident.

Then we had some council houses in which lived, and I hope that the order is right, Jim Sanders, Bert Hyde, Mrs Sixtoes Glasscock lived here at some stage, probably after Bert Hyde had moved to James Street in Epping. Stan Tredgett and Claude Stallan.

No more until we reach Brickfield Lane, and on the left was the Skevington Family.

On the right, in reverse order - Harold Clare, George Stallan, Mr Lunnon, Miss Dockerill, Bill Cockerill, Benny Finch, Jim Fox - all woodmen for Gaynes Park.

In New Lane - now Garnon Mead - the former smallpox hospital where lived Mary King. Later Stan Harvey with his family.

Up at Woodlands was Alf Baker and after him, Jim Wills, estate carpenter.

In the bungalow was Mr Taylor, the gamekeeper.

Then there were a pair of farm cottages, pulled down in 1926. Mrs Gallant lived in one of them.

Little Park Hall - Harry Pegram, farmer.

North Lodge - Bill Baker, Betty Paris.

Two Cottages - Bibby the butcher and Jack Glasscock with his family. He was a gravel digger and kept pigs in a pound near Woodlands.

Back on the main road, and no more houses until 'Southview', nicknamed 'Gun Cottage'; supposedly made from army huts taken down after the First World War. Lived in by Miss Hutchinson and Miss Siddell. Nowadays Ron and Mary Knight live there.

Ansons Farm - Old Mr Lawrence with his daughter.

This, I think, gives you a general picture of the inhabitants, and the houses along the main area of the common, but of course, we had buildings in Institute Road, and with the nationalisation of public transport and the opening of the L.T. garage in Epping, quite a lot of bus men lived in the Institute Road complex. Snowy Hockley, Mr Holland, Tedding Woodland, Sid Thorne, Hubert Porter, George Seymour and Bert Davey are some that I recall.

Other well-known people were Charles Ward, Dorothy Moore, Bert 'Grizzler' Austin, Mr & Mrs Staines, Ted Fenner, Ted Maylen, Mr. Newton, Fred Cakebread, 'Nigger' Piggott, Sid Stallan, the Archer family, Toggy Wood, George Wilkin, Fred Pearce, Stan Gregory, Abe Clark, Mr. Agombar, Reg King, Mrs. Stanes, to name but a few. Mr and Mrs Smelling, Mrs Weatherall, Mr Porter, Mrs Bayford, Mr and Mrs Godfrey, Mr and Mrs Galley, Mr & Mrs Lucus, Mr Leslie Snelling, Mr B. Osbourne, both firemen during the war and after.










I have come to the point now where I have exhausted all the information given me, or that which I have researched, but, also here we have photographs of Coopersale, kindly loaned to me for publication by local people. I am indebted to them. I trust I have done justice to all those good people who have helped in several ways. Their names and appreciated appear elsewhere.

I hope that you who read this book will get as much satisfaction from it as I have in writing it.

Undoubtedly there is much that I have left out, and possibly some not quite exact. Bear with me; in lots of cases I have had to reply on other folk's memories.

 My apologies if I have made any slip ups. I hope that you liked reading 'Fred Eyes Coopersale' .








Other books by Fred Brown:


Epping Through the Eyes of Fred
Epping Through the Eyes of Fred Again
Coopersale House Circa 17th Century
Epping Images
Coopersale Uncovered by Susan Homewood (West Essex Life December 2004)
Epping Life & Times by Susan Homewood (West Essex Life Dec 2005)




Site Content © 2002 - Present   Pamela L. Bishop. All rights reserved


Newest update 05/12/2021 09:07



















'Congratulations on a wonderful family history presentation.

I just "googled" on the off chance, and struck gold!....................

Jean Potter